Tuesday, April 1, 2008

72 hours and counting!

This Friday, I leave for India. I cannot believe it is actually here! I have heard many a review about this trip and countless others who have traveled to India, both the good and the bad, and I can honestly say I am just ready to be there...

Preplanning-wise, I feel as prepared as I can be. I have been vaccinated with Hep A and Typhoid Fever, and I have my malaria prophylaxis of choice (Mefloquine) in hand with one pre-trip pill taken. Roughly 30% DEET insect repellant has found its way into my carry-on with a larger reinforcement in my hiking backpack. I have dried fruit, protein bars, and Propel packets stashed away for reinforcements for what I am told is a spicy array of Indian treats (needless to say, the word spicy still makes me a little nervous...). As for the heat (rumors promise anywhere from 100-125 F!!!), well I can't prepare for that so I think I am staying in denial and crossing my fingers for an air-conditioned room at one of 3 hotels we have maps to as none of them confirmed our reservation.

My iPod will be loaded with Spanish lessons as I feel this could be an opportune time to attempt to learn the language. Atlas Shrugged is packed as I have always wanted to read it and figure it should take me the entire trip and then some. I have a few tank tops but am excited to hit the Indian stores for the native attire! As for now, this is about it...

At this time on Friday, I will be sitting in IAH with Cristina waiting anxiously to board for the 21-hour flight to Chennai! The current plan is to meet Chris on the other side of customs and take the few hour taxi ride to Vellore. While there, we hope to visit a few temples, ride a houseboat through Kerala, go to Bangalor, Bombay, and Delhi/Agra, before heading to Greece! As for the details, only time will tell... Thanks for reading along, and I hope you enjoy the ride!

No comments: